Many of you are aware that Special Session of General Conference will take place on February 23-26, 2019. Below, you can find quick links to find out more about the Special Session. United Methodist Communications has created an excellent online training to help your church communicator understand the importance and function of General Conference. Click here to access the training.
If you didn’t know, the General Conference is the global body of nearly 1,000 delegates that meets every four years and it’s the only body that can set official policy. This year the group was called to a Special Session to receive and act on the report from the Commission on A Way Forward. The report includes three proposals that address the language in the Book of Discipline concerning human sexuality.
There is the potential for a historic shift in The United Methodist Church on February 26. Even if delegates to the Special General Conference do nothing, there may be historic shifting.Greg Nelson, Director of Communications in the Oregon-Idaho Conference
Learn about next month’s General Conference.
- Click here to subscribe to the Western Jurisdiction Update, a newsletter published during and about General Conference. (This newsletter is hosted by the Oregon-Idaho Conference)
- An overview article from United Methodist News
- Q and A: Answers to some questions about General Conference
- The report from the Commission on a Way Forward
- Resource links for more learning on this website
- Information about the Desert Southwest Conference delegation to General Conference
- A toolkit of informational links from United Methodist Communications
- General Conference 2019 Livestream