By Rolly Loomis, Missionary for Outreach
I travel a lot. I often take taxies in my travels. I always talk to the drivers. Many are from other countries, many from Africa.
Last December I was in Washington DC involved in a lobbying effort by The United Methodist Church to maintain current US budget spending levels to continue our fight against malaria. We visited over 110 congressional and senate offices. We told our stories. We changed hearts and minds.
After our debriefing, some associates and I returned by taxi to our hotel. I sat in front and talked to the driver. He was from Ethiopia. He once suffered from malaria. I told him of our work. He turned to me, with a wonderful expression on his face, and said, “Thank you on behalf of the people of Ethiopia.”
We do make a difference in this world. We save lives. We do God’s work. Imagine No Malaria, and look at what we’ve already done in The Desert Southwest Conference:
- Our Conference goal is to save 200,000 lives. $10 saves a life.
- In a combination of pledges and cash received the Desert Southwest Conference has already saved 17,000 lives. We still have 183,000 lives to go.
- We are organized. All our districts have one or more INM District Coordinator.
- Over 90% of our churches have INM Local Church Coordinators.
- Two Training Sessions have been held online, and 67 Local Church Coordinators have been trained.
One more training session is scheduled for April 20 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Arizona time. To participate go to http://umc.adobeconnect.com/imaginenobuzz and use the “Enter as a Guest” option. Enter your first and last name in the box and click on the “Enter Room” button. If you are prompted to install a “plugin” or “add on,” do so. It may take a moment for you to join the room. Everyone is welcome but Local Church Coordinators are urged to attend.
Please visit our INM website at www.imaginenobuzz.net to learn more. I hope to inspire churches and individuals to be extravagant and to save as many lives as you think possible and then go beyond.