Potosi year in review!
by Tracey Brown, Campus Director
It was another busy blessing packed year for us here at Potosi! We started off the year with 2 great winter camps, one for the Jr & Sr. High youth and one for the Elementary youth. All were blessed and had a great time even if we did not have snow.
This year was our American Camp Association review. We booked our visitors in as early as we could, the first weekend of April. It went very well; we scored 100% on all the standards. Our visitors were very impressed with our facility.
We added in a new retreat this spring. We did a “girls retreat” for the North District. It was a powerful and meaningful weekend for all. We talked about self-esteem and other relevant issues for our girls. We once again hosted the conference confirmation retreat. Our District Superintendent Rev. Dan as well as other conference “dignitaries” helped to lead this fun, informative event. The annual Woman’s retreat was a great success. All the ladies were blessed as we studied the Psalms together. The spring also brought our 6th annual campership fundraiser. It was very successful; we raised almost $6000 to help send kids to summer camp. We are so grateful to have many generous volunteers who believe in the power of Christian camping!
Summer was perhaps the busiest we have had in my time here at Potosi. We sponsored 6 conference camps, had 6 new deans leading and they all did an amazing job! We added a tremendously successful “Younger Elementary Camp” this year. They all had a great time! Along with all that, we hosted 3 week long camps for guest groups as well as several other shorter groups. There was never a shortage of things to do! All in all it was a fun and busy summer.
This fall I had the opportunity to attend a marketing conference in Tennessee. It was helpful and gave us all plenty of things to work on and think about. There was so much to learn and try as we work to put our best face forward and tell our story. As a result of that we are working to have an increased social media presence, made some changes in our websites and went through a rebranding with our logo.
Keeping our facility in top shape is always a priority! There is never a shortage of projects to keep Johnny, many wonderful volunteers and all of us busy. Here are just a few of the changes/upgrades we made to camp this year.
- We added a retractable shade structure over the porch. Making that space so much more usable!
- We reconfigured the shade structure over the picnic table in the center of camp and that was a huge improvement!
- New siding and paint on the camp store.
- New siding and painted the bathhouse, along with new doors on both sides.
- Removed the carpet and refinished the floor in the Retreat Center Chapel.
- Added a new RV hook-up over by the Program Building
- upgraded the Wi-Fi system in camp and at directors house.
- New heaters in all the cabins.
- New flooring in the director’s house.
- Jr. High camp built a giant checker board just outside the dining hall!
- Sr. High camp built 3 new benches to add seating around the checker board!
Whew! What a year!