The United Methodist Judicial Council will gather to consider a question related to last July’s election of Bishop Karen Oliveto, who was assigned by our Western Jurisdiction to serve the Mountain Sky Area. The oral hearing on the election of Bishop Oliveto will begin on Tuesday, April 25 at 6:00 AM Mountain Time and concluded at 9:00 a.m. Mountain Time on Friday, April 28. The Mountain Sky Area Conference has extended an invitation to all United Methodist to join them in prayer.
The following Prayer Template from the Mountain Sky Vigil was shared across the Jurisdiction as one possible way to construct prayer time. Feel free to adapt it for yourself, your local congregation, or group.
- 5 minutes of centering prayer and opening to the movement of the Spirit.
- 15 minutes of prayer for the persons directly involved in the proceedings, the Judicial Council members, those representing the South Central Jurisdiction that filed the case, those representing the Western Jurisdiction, including the College of Bishops and its counsels, and Bishop Karen Oliveto and her spouse, Robin Ridenour.
- 15 minutes of prayer for those who will be immediately affected by whatever decision comes from the Judicial Council.
- 15 minutes of prayer for the people and churches of the Mountain Sky Area and the Western Jurisdiction as we work to discern how we will move forward, no matter what the decision may be.
- 10 minutes of prayers of thanksgiving for the work God has done and continues to do in The United Methodist Church as we seek a place of unity.
Since her assignment starting last September, Bishop Oliveto has exhibited a leadership style and Christ-focused vision for the people of the Mountain Sky Area. Many there would like to continue to see what her leadership will foster. Please hold the people and churches of this area in your prayers.