CELEBRATING THE PAST
By Peggy J. Hunter, Church Historian
First United Methodist Church of Safford
Sometime in 1892 or 1893, the story goes like this…Addie Hartzler rode her gray horse to the Robert Nash farm, some 3-4 miles east of Safford to talk and pray about the spiritual life of the community and the need of a community church. (Get a couple of ladies together and things begin to happen.)
On January 27, 1894, citizens of Safford gathered together to make arrangements for the building of a Methodist Church. Thus, First United Methodist Church of Safford was born!
Land was donated by Edward D. Tuttle, a member of Arizona’s First Territorial Legislator and a very influential Safford citizen. Adobe, building materials, money and labor were also donated and this small adobe church became a reality. The first worship service was held in October of 1894. In a letter of 1909, Mr. Tuttle stated, “One can only speculate how many foresaw the tremendous influence for good this little adobe church was to have upon the community and it’s welfare”.
Let’s Celebrate 125 Years Together on Sunday, January 27, 2019
10:30 a.m. worship, buffet luncheon to follow