“Committed to its Wesleyan Roots”
We are in a time when the nation is divided, and so is the Church. United Methodists are rooted in the teachings of Jesus. We are also influenced by some of the beliefs of the founder of Methodism, John Wesley. Wesley believed in holy conferencing, a commitment for people to meet together for the purpose of listening to understand one another’s beliefs and viewpoints. What we have witnessed too often in both the nation and the Church, is a lack of listening to understand, but listening to debate, find weakness in arguments and to win at any cost. This behavior devalues the other person. We must reclaim our roots. The month of February invites us to embrace four of Wesley’s beliefs; 1) think and let think, 2) Centrality of grace, 3) Not just social justice, but social holiness and 4) Do all the good you can. . .
Week of February 7
Week of February 7th
Revealing God, how can some of my Christian siblings believe what they believe?! Help me . . .Help me wonder . . . Help me wonder more than judge. . . Help me listen more than debate. Forgive me if/when I think less of a person because their beliefs differ from my own. Remind me that people’s experiences are different from mind. Help me be as patient with others as you are with me.
Week of February 14
Week of February 14th
Grace is such a wonderful gift, O God, when it comes my way. But I confess that I struggle with grace for all. It doesn’t seem fair. . . Oh, it’s not about fairness? It’s not about who has earned it? It’s about how you want it? It’s an example of what it means to live in community and follow your example? Then help me remember that life is not about fairness but about holiness. Help me see the holiness even in my enemy. Help me be grateful for your grace . . . for all.
Week of February 21
Weekly Prayer Focus
Week of February 21st
God of justice and mercy, you say that whatever we do “to the least”, we do to you. Why would you set up such a relationship? Why would you put your trust in us? Please help us remember this truth always. Please remind us that we are to watch over one another in love, and to help each other grow into the people we know we are when we are at our best.
Week of February 28
Weekly Prayer Focus
Week of February 28th
O God, what a better community we would live in if we strive to do no harm, to do good and to always turn to you for how to live in this world. May it be so!
Faith leaders from across California-Nevada have come together to create compelling videos and webinars that will launch in February for the Western Jurisdictional campaign Where Love Lives. February’s theme is Committed to our Wesleyan roots: The inseparability of Personal Piety and Social Holiness. Three new weekly video series and the ongoing weekly Wednesday webinars will explore theological concepts with a current-day lens, examine district initiatives rooted in our Wesleyan heritage, and engage children across the jurisdiction around timeless Wesleyan values.
Released each Monday in February at 6:00 AM PST (7:00 AM MST), this is a series of biblical/theological learning videos featuring California-Nevada Conference leaders.
- February 1 – Featuring Bishop Minerva Carcaño, San Francisco Area Episcopal Leader. Click here to watch.
- February 8 – Featuring Micheal Pope, California-Nevada Lay Leader. Click here to watch.
- February 15 – Featuring Reverend Dr. Jeffrey Kah-Jin Kuan, President, Claremont School of Theology. Click here to watch.
- February 22 – Featuring Rev. Samuel Yun, Chair, California-Nevada CORE Team, Pastor, Embrace Church, Alameda, CA. Click here to watch.
Then & Now
Released each Thursday in February at 8:00 AM PST (9:00 AM MST), this is a series of 12–15-minute mini webinars accompanied by discussion questions that place historical Wesleyan concepts and initiatives of personal piety and social holiness side by side with current initiatives happening in the California-Nevada Conference districts.
- February 4 – How is it with your soul? Life-changing ministry rooted in invitational inquiry. Click here to watch.
- February 11 – Methodist movement built by lay ministry: Lay Servant Ministries still key to vibrant church community. Click here to watch.
- February 18 – COVID Relief Grants: Earn all you can, Save all you can, give all you can. Click here to watch.
- February 25
- February 3, 2021 – Taking the Church Outdoors, hosted by CNVC and the Director of Congregational Development, Dr. Craig Brown. Click here to register.
- February 10, 2021 – Our Wesleyan Roots and Discussions on Race, hosted by CCORR and Rev. Dale Weatherspoon. Click here to register.
- February 24, 2021 – The Wesleyan Call for Social Holiness, hosted by the Clergy Leadership Development Committee, Rev. Sun Hee Kim. Click here to register.
In case you miss the live webinar sessions, please click here to view the recordings which will be posted several days after the live webinar.
Saturday Mornings with Mr. Wesley
Released each Saturday at 10:00 AM PST (11:00 AM MST), this series of 12-15-minute videos are for children examining what it means to be good and do good.
- February 6
- February 13
- February 20
- February 27
Where Love Lives is a 12-month long campaign happening throughout the conferences of the Western Jurisdiction (WJ), designed to lift up the faith values that have undergirded the jurisdiction’s long-term commitment to a scripturally based fully inclusive ministry. Conferences within the WJ selected months to lead and produce campaign content. That content will be distributed through websites, social media, and partner networks of the WJ all resident conferences.