By Randy Bowman, Conference Treasurer
April apportionments improved compared to 2021. Like last year, the Conference fully paid one month (8.3%) of 2022 apportionments for all of our churches. Our churches paid another 21.0%, resulting in an overall apportionments receipt level of 29.3% for the first 4 months of the year. That was 0.4% above last year’s level. At this rate, we project year-end apportionment receipts of about 80%.
Apportionment receipts through April are shown graphically as follows:
Overall, the Conference remains in strong financial shape. Our available cash reserves are at $3.0 million, down only slightly from $3.1 million at the beginning of this year. We had an overall operating deficit of $407,000 due to: payment of our general church apportionments at 100%; payment of one month of apportionments for all churches in the Conference; investment losses; and COVID-impacted losses in our camp and retreat ministries. This operating deficit was lower than it might have been as a result of reduced travel, operating efficiencies, and lower staff costs in many areas of ministry. So we are thankful for that, just as we are thankful for your continued support of our connectional system through your apportionment contributions.
Apportionments are a way to look beyond just ourselves. Please do all that you can to help our churches and our ministries continue to change lives by contributing to apportionments as fully as possible in the remaining 8 months of 2022. Thanks again for your commitment; it truly provides the financial stability for our connectional programs to work.