May 2022 Apportionments Continued to Improve

by | Jun 2, 2022 | Apportionments

By Randy Bowman, Conference Treasurer

May apportionment receipts continued at a higher level than last year. Like last year, the Conference fully paid one month (8.3%) of 2022 apportionments for all of our churches. Our churches paid another 27.8%, resulting in an overall apportionments receipt level of 36.1% for the first five months of the year. That was 0.7% better than last year’s level. At this rate, we project year-end apportionment receipts of about 82%.

Apportionment receipts through May are shown graphically as follows:

Overall, the Conference remains in strong financial shape. Our available cash reserves are at $3.0 million, down only slightly from $3.1 million at the beginning of this year. We had an overall operating deficit of $521,000 due to: payment of our general church apportionments at 100%; payment of one month of apportionments for all churches in the Conference; investment losses; and COVID-impacted losses in our camp and retreat ministries (particularly at Mingus Mountain Camp). This operating deficit was lower than it might have been as a result of reduced travel, operating efficiencies, and lower staff costs in many of areas of ministry. So we are thankful for that, just as we are thankful for your continued support of our connectional system through your apportionment contributions.

Apportionments are a way to look beyond just ourselves. Please do all that you can to help our churches and our ministries continue to change lives by contributing apportionments as fully as possible in the remaining seven months of 2022. Thanks again for your commitment; it truly provides the financial stability for our connectional programs to work.

Click here to download the detailed report or visit https://dscumc.org/apportionments to find reports from previous months.

Get information like this in your inbox

Author: Randy Bowman

Finance and Administration Assistant Treasurer

The Desert Southwest Conference is a diverse and loving organization with open doors to a variety of people and partners in ministry. Celebrating our connection and diversity, we offer various resources. Content on this site includes information from other organizations that may not reflect the official policies or Social Principles of The United Methodist Church or the Desert Southwest Conference.

Share This