We have a booth at Las Vegas PRIDE. WARM team is invited to join UUMC to take part. Rev. Govett is enthusiastic about participating. Michael suggested going paperless at the event but having online resources ready. Bill suggested having a map of welcoming churches. Our page lists the WARM congregations by name and takes you to their websites. Michael will talk with Christina about how to get a map put together. Rick noted to put a clickable red dot on the map to take folks to the location. Bill also asked for a poster with the names of churches and dots, and locations. 8.5 x 11 – several – Bill can laminate as needed.
Bill shared its sold out. We will not have a booth. We’ll do a push to take part in the parade – with City Square – Pastor Gina Pollard. Michael will connect with Gina about others joining City Square to march. Lisa coordinates this for City Square.
Questions for Episcopal Candidates
The post is out regarding photos and names. Michael sent out the link to DS Melissa Rynder’s Facebook page during the meeting.
The following questions will be sent to Dan Hurlbert from our team to ask or watch for:
- Views on gay marriage
- How do they define welcoming / reconciling ministries- what does that mean to them (note affirming)
- how as bishop would you support this ministry as well as the UMs who are in your ministry – how will you make all of this work
- With a history (as noted by team) of leadership targeting POC and LGTBQ, how would you handle that wounding
- How are we dismantling theologies, policies etc that discriminate against LGTBQ people
- How are we creating policies for the unchurched yet who are spiritually centered – expanding our theology/ that offers more room for people’s identifies – accessibility on all levels for all people – how do we make room
- We are living in a duality due to the constraints of the Discipline & the teachings around incompatibility. What is the plan to balance the current welcoming churches with the duality we are living in. How can you help us move forward, navigating our living as “the church” until a decision is finally made.
Cultural Competency and this team Discussion
RE Religion & Race not including LGTBQ in their work – it is not their topic to do. It is this team’s responsibility to put forward competency training in this area. Quest noted that there is a training that does exist already. The issue is sharing / training on a Conference-wide level.
- Is there a need for this training in this Conference: YES. (team response)
- Izzy offered some clarifying comments ending with what is the communal action for a church affirming inclusion of all people.
- Michael – there is no policy for the church to go back to regarding incompatible teachings as defined now by our Discipline. As the ‘church’ we don’t know what LGTBQ even means. This training would be to set a foundation for understanding.
- The incoming bishop could mandate such a training.
- Quest will look for an electronic copy of the RMN training – will email the training content to the team for our review prior to next meeting. Many resources are still under development. Izzy will send materials as well.
Tuesday, Oct. 18th