On November 2-5, 2022, as approved by the Council of Bishops, Western Jurisdiction delegates will meet to conduct the business of the jurisdiction, which includes election and assignments of new bishops. News about the new bishops and their appointments will be published by the Western Jurisdiction and shared through our Desert Southwest Conference channels. The event’s live stream will be available at https://westernjurisdictionumc.org/2022-conference/.
Bishop Grant Hagiya is set to retire at the end of 2022, so the Desert Southwest Conference will be one of the areas to receive a new bishop! The new bishop will oversee the Desert Southwest Conference beginning January 1, 2023.
On September 29, a transition team assigned by Bishop Grant will gather to begin preparations for the transition. The persons on the transition team are:
- Matt Ashley, South District Superintendent
- Randy Bowman, Conference Treasurer and Director of Administrative Services
- Paul Cho, Episcopacy Committee Chair
- Christina Dillabough, Director of Communications
- Alberta Farnsworth, Conference Lay Leader
- Paul Gomez, Laity First Elect Delegate
- Dan Hurlbert, Clergy First Elect Delegate
- Sharon Kotsonas, Covenant Council Chair
- Dan Morley, North District Superintendent
- Javier Olivares, West District Superintendent
- Julie O’Neal, Executive Assistant to the Bishop
- Melissa Rynders, East District Superintendent
- Scott Whitmire, Conference Finance & Administration Chair
Some at your church might have questions about Episcopal elections and the role of a bishop in The United Methodist Church. After the transitions team meets, check the Desert Southwest Conference website at dscumc.org/bishop, especially the PDF titled Bishop 101. The Bishop 101 PDF will be available no later than Monday, October 3, on the dscumc.org/bishop page. If you don’t see the information you seek, please contact the Bishop’s Executive Assistant, Julie O’Neal, at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.