- Attending: Gerry Hills, Billie Fidlin, Tom Jelinek, Paul Bullis, Chris Spencer, Meredith Joubert, Lynn Wallasky
- Meeting was called to order at 12:03 PM
- Billie provided a summary of the Western Jurisdictional Conference held last week:
- Carlo A Rapanut was elected Bishop and assigned to the DSC. He will begin his duties in January. Bishop Rapanut will be invited to a C & S meeting to meet task force chairs and learn about current social justice projects.
- Bishop Dottie Escobedo-Frank was elected Bishop and assigned to Cal-Pac. She is the first person and the first woman to be elected Bishop from the DSC.
- Dr. Cedrick Bridgeforth was also elected Bishop and assigned to PNW.
Task Force Updates:
- Human Trafficking is planning a camp program for women to prevent being trafficked. Billie will attend the initial meeting.
- JFON has hired a new Executive Director and is rebranding to Immigration & Legal Justice Arizona. No specific date for the launch.
- Prison Reform shared there is the third execution in Arizona scheduled for November 16. There will be a vigil for all victims of violence at the AZ State Capital on November 15 from 5:30-6:30. A message will be sent out to the list serve to ask people to call Gov. Ducey in protest and attend the vigil. Not planning any major legislation in 2023, will focus on re-entry programs and new opportunities with MCSO.
- Children & Poverty will be focusing on education funding and affordable housing issues. Specifically, local zoning issues create barriers to converting commercial property into housing units. They will also reach out to Children’s Action Alliance.
- Gun Violence Awareness will conduct a civil dialogue session in the Las Vegas area sometime in last January-early February 2023. They are also planning a 3-week bible study on gun violence.
- Impact of Mid-term elections:
- Many races in Arizona and Nevada have not yet been called. Gov. Attorney General, County Prosecutor, state house and senate races will all have policy impact on social justice areas. Task forces will monitor and be prepared to update C & S at our next meeting.
- Develop and present a series of workshops on the Social Principles
- JFON rebranding and presentation by new ED
- Deeper collaboration with community partners such as Arizona Faith Network
- Review and analysis of social justice-related work currently being done by churches across the conference
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM