Local Pastor to Associate Membership
A Local Pastor may feel called to change into an Associate Membership relationship with the Desert Southwest Annual Conference (¶ 321).
Working with DCOM
Before applying for Associate Membership, a Local Pastor must meet the following requirements in accordance with ¶ 322 of the Book of Discipline.
- Annual renewal of license for pastoral ministry with service as a full-time local pastor for four years.
- Reached the age of 40.
- Will have served four years as full-time local pastor by the next Annual Conference.
- Completed the five-year Course of Study in addition to the studies for license as a local pastor (up to one half of which may be taken by correspondence or online/distance learning courses) OR received a Master of Divinity degree that includes the basic graduate theological studies form a school of theology listed by the University Senate.
- Completed a minimum of sixty semester hours toward the Bachelor of Arts or an equivalent degree in a college or university recognized by the University Senate.
- Completed a new psychological assessment if your prior report (during certified candidacy) is older than 5 years.
- Acceptable Legal Background Check in file.
- Notarized Declaration Regarding Sexual Misconduct Form.
- Declared their willingness to their District Superintendent to accept a continuing full-time appointment.
Once items 1-9 have been completed, you may request to be recommended to apply for Associate Membership from your DCOM. This interview is preferably done at the DCOM’s spring meeting. With a recommendation vote of a ¾ majority, you will be eligible to apply for Associate Membership with BOOM.
Due on November 1, 2021
After your application has been received, you will be contacted by the BOOM Registrar confirming your request and giving you access to a private Google folder, so you may submit items 1-6 listed below. Likewise, the Registrar will request items 4-8 listed above be forwarded to your application file.
Due on November 15, 2021
- Associate Membership/Provisional Doctrinal Examination. Each answer should be complete in and of itself. References to answers in other exams are not appropriate. Answers are dependent on each individual response to the question. Recognizing that some questions will require more of a response than others, most readers look for 2-3 pages per question. The Board of Ordained Ministry is expecting your best scholarly work, which includes punctuation and grammar. You will not be granted an interview if your work does not meet these standards. It is strongly recommended that you prepare your answers well before the deadline, and even have a mentor preview them for feedback. Then you will upload your documents to a private BOOM Google folder. Each answer should be on its own Word document file as demonstrated by the template.
- Biographical Information Form
- Medical Report Form
- List of References: The Registrar will request and collect references from the list you provide.
- Field Work Evaluation
- Digital Photo Headshot
After your COMPLETE packet of work has been received, you will be contacted by the Registrar by December 15th, accepting your paperwork and giving you further instructions. Interviews will not be granted for incomplete submissions.
Provisional and Associate Member Interviews with the Board of Ordained Ministry will be held January 11-13, 2022 OR March 29-31, 2022 in the Phoenix area. Please save both sets of dates. If you are granted an interview, you will be notified of your interview date block by December 1, 2021.
A recommendation by BOOM with a ¾ majority vote will put you in front of clergy session, from which you will also need to receive approval by a ¾ vote to become an Associate Member. Once an Associate Member, you may choose to voluntarily participate in the two year Residence in Ministry program (RIM.) This would be of no cost to you, but something BOOM highly recommends and mandates from our Provisional Members.