If you have been ordained as an Elder or Deacon in the United Methodist Church and are in good standing with your conference, but would now like to transfer your membership to the Desert Southwest Annual Conference, this path is for you.
Transition Membership from a UMC Annual Conference to the DSC
You will find the Transfer Guidelines From Another Annual Conference in ¶ 347.1 of the 2016 Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church. Below are the policy and requirements of The Desert Southwest Conference regarding transfers of conference membership for ordained clergy:
1) To transfer clergy membership a person must have served in an appointment in the Desert Southwest Conference for a minimum of two full years.
2) After serving a minimum of two full years the ordained clergy must write a letter to the Bishop requesting transfer of membership.
3) The Bishop of the Desert Southwest Conference will consult with the Bishop of the clergyperson’s home conference.
4) If the request for transfer is approved by the Bishop, the Bishop submits the recommendation for transfer of clergy membership to the Board of Ordained Ministry.
5) A request for the clergy file may be made by the Bishop of the Desert Southwest Conference to the Bishop of the home conference of the ordained clergy.
6) A request may be made by the Chairperson of the Desert Southwest Conference Board of Ordained Ministry to the Chairperson of the Board of Ordained Ministry of the home conference for the file of the ordained clergy seeking to transfer their membership.
7) A request may be made by the Chairperson of the Desert Southwest Conference Board of Ordained Ministry for a background check and a credit report of the ordained clergy.
8) There will be an introductory meeting of the ordained clergy seeking transfer and the Board of Ordained Ministry.
9) The Executive Committee of the Board of Ordained Ministry must recommend to and receive approval by the clergy session at Annual Conference of the Desert Southwest Conference prior to the transfer.