Clergy & Lay Leadership Development
Ministries of Faith in Action
Need some inspiration?
The charge of this committee is to identify, develop, deploy, evaluate, and monitor Christian spiritual leadership for the Desert Southwest Conference committees and at the local church.
This committee fulfills that task by exploring various perspectives, including resources that look at leadership from more than one cultural lens. Opportunities are available to anyone in the Desert Southwest Conference interested in learning through a focused discussion of mixed media leadership resources, such as books, videos, podcasts, webinars, etc.
Find out how you can get involved.
News & Events
November's Leadership Talk entitled, “Care of Self, Care of Soul” presented by Rev. Lynn Bartlow, lead pastor of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Tucson. Before the busy holiday season begins, watch the recording and care for your soul.
The Leadership Talk on Monday, November 14th at 7:00 PM, is entitled “Care of Self, Care of Soul.” Our presenter will be Rev. Lynn Bartlow, lead pastor of St. Mark’s United Methodist Church in Tucson. Register today and join us on Monday.
Let us put into action our desire and need to grow in cultural competency and live into our call to reach and minister with all people in Christ! District Superintendent Dan Morley invites the leaders in the local churches of the North District to participate in a...
Youth from around our annual conference will be attending the quadrennial Youth 2023 gathering in Daytona Beach, Florida, in July 2023, and we are helping you and your churches coordinate attendance for this amazing event. Whether you have a full group going, or just youth or two, we can help!
Does it feel like you need to take a breather, since 75% of the year is gone? Or do you see the "end of the tunnel" and you can't wait to get this done, to pick up a new project from God? Even though the year is almost over, the effort continues with forwarding...
At the 2021 Annual Conference Session, the resolution was passed to begin Cultural Competency/Inclusivity and Diversity training. The training has begun and District Superintendent Matt Ashley would like to invite the leaders...
This month’s Leadership Talk features Rev. Anthony Tang referencing Brené Brown's book, Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. Register today for the Oct. 10 talk via Zoom.
On September 12, 2022, Compassionate Leadership will be presented by Rev. George Cushman and is based on comments by Albert Outler (Evangelism in the Wesleyan Spirit) and, also, the scripture Luke 6:36 NEB.
July 25, 2023 will be here before you know it and this event takes place in in Daytona Beach, Florida, so there's lots to consider and prepare. Start fundraising, planning, and, most importantly, praying for this awesome opportunity for your young people. Fun and...
Rev. Javier Olivares
Call the Desert Southwest Conference
Clergy Lay & Leadership Archives
Kari Cozine Butchko
Leading Local Church Committees
Speakers within the UMC on various topics
Leadership Perspectives Webinar: Latino Leadership with Juana Bordas
Select to watch the full video
Recommended Internet Searches
Select to download a list of recommended links
Meeting Minutes Archive
Select to find more
Select to download the latest spreadsheet
Membership to Discipleship
Booklet available on Cokesbury
Membership to Discipleship
Booklet available on Amazon
(Expand the Tabs Below)
Teaching Youth - Resource Books
- “Teaching Outside the Box” by Andrew Zirschky (2022 UMW reading program)
- “Cinderella Liberator” by Rebecca Solnit (2021 UMW reading program)
Women in Leadership
- “Vital Voices: The Power of Women Leading Change Around the World” – Alyse Nelson (2020 UMW reading program)
Your Life's Purpose
- “Which Way Lord?” – Rob Fuquay (2020 UMW reading program)
- “#Not Your Princess: Voices of Native American Women” – Mary Beth Leatherdale (2021 UMW reading program)
- “The Power of Latino Leadership” – Juana Bordas
- “Rise!: From Caged Bird to Poet of the People, May Angelou” – Bethany Hegedus (2021 UMW reading program)
Self-Help and Health
- “Stopping – How to be Still When You Have to Keep Going” – Dr. David Kundtz
- “Jesus on Leadership” – C. Gene Wilkes
- “The Power of Latino Leadership” – Juana Bordas (*Leadership Talk, Sept. 13, 2021 – Presenters: REv. Antonieta Fernandes & Rev. Efraim Zavala
- “Salsa, Soul and Spirit – Leadership for a Multicultural Age” – Juana Bordas
- “Jesus, CEO” – Lauri Beth Jones
- “Anxious Church, Anxious People: How to Lead Change in an Age of Anxiety” – Jack Shitama (*Leadership Talk, Nov. 8, 2021 – Presenter: Jack Shitama)
- “From Members to Disciples: Leadership Lessons from The Book of Acts” – Michael W. Foss (*Leadership Talk, August 9, 2021 – Presenter: Rev. Galene Boyett)
- “On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life” – John O’Leary
- “HBR’s 10 Must Reads on Leadership” – Harvard Business Review
- “Church Administration and Finance Manual, Resources for Leading the Local Church” – Otto F. Crumroy, Jr., Stan Kukawka and Frank Witman (*Leadership Talk, Feb. 14, 2022 – Presenter: Rev. Gary Kennedy)
- “How We Lead Matters” – Marilyn Carolyn Carson (*Leadership Talk, March 14, 2022 – Presenter: Rev. Dr. Dottie Escobedo-Frank)
- “Spiritual Kaizen: How to Become a Better Church Leader” – Bishop Grant J. Hagiya (*Leadership Talk, May 2, 2022 – Presenter: Bishop Grant J. Hagiya)
- Books by Jack Welch:
- “4 E’s of Leadership”**
- “29 Leadership Secrets”**
- “Jack Welch and Leadership”**
- Books by Steven Covey:
- “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”**
- “First Things First”**
- “Trust and Inspire”**
- “The 5 Levels of Leadership”** – John Maxwell
- “How to Win Friends and Influence People”** – Dale Carnegie
- “A Theory of Human Motivation”** – Abraham Maslow
- “Motivation to Work” – Frederick Herzberg
- “Leadership and Motivation” – Douglas McGregor
- “Theory Z”** – William Ouchi
- “Motivation Theory – Scientific Management”** – John Taylor