Share these video messages in worship or small groups.
Annual Conference 2016
Loving Like Jesus
United in Hope
Fall 2017 Update
Acting for Justice
Initiative PostersEmail us to order free print pieces.
- Window Clings 3″x3″ (while supplies last)
- Medium Poster 18″x24″ Matte
- Large Poster 24″x36″ Glossy
About the Initiative: 2016 Annual Conference Recap
God is calling us to focus on growing and becoming more vital so that our ministry of praise and prayer, compassion and caring, and mission and outreach will touch lives and transform communities for many years to come.
We’ve asked for input about church vitality, values, measurements, and more so that a team of clergy and laity can converge those insights and write the vision that God has inspired in the people of the Desert Southwest Conference. Once that work was done, the team continued to the next phase of their work.
Top 4 Growth Themes Mentioned in Surveys and Holy Huddles
- Listen, Vision, & Risk What God Asks
- Develop an Outward Focus
- Build Multigenerational & Multicultural Diversity
- Train, Learn, Share, & Partner with other churches
Common Obstacles Identified
- Aging of Members
- Resistance to Change
- Inward Focused
- Fear of Failure
About the Initiative: Who are we asking?
Recent UMC research is included in the discussions and reporting. Seeking out and listening to the voices of those that are not United Methodist and those that have no affiliation with any church is a critical piece that we are currently involved in. Each team member is seeking responses to the following question:
From your perspective, what are the characteristics of a church that is growing?
About the Initiative: What will this work accomplish?
In April 2016, the Bishop requested responses for two surveys and in June he led us in holy huddles. Both surveys and holy huddles were designed to achieve several objectives:
- Clarify an understanding of who we are and provide insights on the present state of vitality.
- Create a vision statement that both reflects and drives the Desert Southwest Conference churches and ministries.
- Identify those places where we have experienced successful growth initiatives that can be shared.
- Uncover ideas that will help us better understand how we can become even more vital than we are today.