2019 General Conference
Resources from Holy Huddles and the Future of The UMC
HOLY HUDDLES FOR CLERGY
These events are 10:00 AM-Noon. For details, click on the date.
HOLY HUDDLES FOR LAY AND CLERGY
The 2018 gatherings are scheduled for 1:00 PM-4:30 PM. For details, click on the date.
- Oct 6 at Christ Church UM, South District
- Oct 13 at Trinity UMC, East and West District
- Oct 27 at Federated Community Church for Flagstaff, Verde Valley, & Prescott
- Nov 17 at North Scottsdale UMC, East District
- Dec 8 at Trinity UMC for Las Vegas area
- January 12, 2019, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm at Gila Mountain UMC for Yuma area
Resources shared at Holy Huddles
- Video messages from Bishop Grant Hagiya and Rev. Donna Pritchard, members of the Commission on A Way Forward.
- PDF Summary of the three models proposed by the Commission on A Way Forward.
- Link to “A Simple Plan” proposed by the leadership of The United Methodist Church Queer Clergy Caucus.
- Journal booklet
- Covenant bookmarker in various languages: Amharic-BookMark, English-BookMark , Korean-BookMark, Spanish-BookMark , Tagalog-BookMark, Tongan-BookMark
- Holy Huddle Clergy Questions
Grace and peace in the name of Christ to the people called United Methodist of the Western Jurisdiction. We are the Mission Cabinet of the Western Jurisdiction, composed of your bishops, directors of connectional ministries, and leadership team chair. We speak to you...read more
As the United Methodist Church heads toward a special General Conference 2019, United Methodist News will highlight bishops’ perspectives on where the church is as a denomination, starting with Louisiana Area Bishop Cynthia Fierro Harvey. Many United Methodists feel...read more
Nashville, Tenn.: The Commission on the General Conference has outlined a process for determining if petitions submitted to the 2019 Special Session of the General Conference are in harmony with the Council of Bishops’ amended call to the session, which states that...read more
Perspectives on A Way Forward
Way Forward Reports
Judicial Court Docket
Praying Our Way Forward
A prayer community for The United Methodist Church in response to the Council of Bishop’s initiative.
General Commission on Religion & Race
Video series for vital conversations on race, culture, the church, and human sexuality.
Helping congregations have courageous conversations about The Way Forward.
The Way Forward Plans
A Side-by-Side Comparison
One Church Plan
1) No change to the Book of Discipline language regarding homosexuality.
2) Violations of church law
3) Ordinands must state their sexual preference
4) Practicing LGBTQi persons are not eligible for ordination
1) Adaptations to the Book of Discipline would be allowed by each connectional conference.
2) Annual conferences would determine their affiliation with a connectional conference.
3) Local churches who choose a branch other than the one chosen by their annual conference could vote to join another conference.
4) Requires multiple amendments to the denomination’s constitution.
The Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church is asking the Judicial Council for declaratory decisions on the constitutionality of the petitions submitted by the Commission on a Way Forward to the 2019 Special Session of General Conference.
The Council of Bishops (COB) has amended its call for the Special Session of the General Conference of The United Methodist Church (UMC) to be held February 23-26, 2019 in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, in response to Judicial Council Decision 1360, which was handed down on May 25, 2018.
Video Resources about The Way Forward
Rev. Dan Hurlbert
First Elect Clergy Delegate
First Elect Lay Delegate
Rev. Anthony Tang
First Reserve Clergy Delegate
First Reserve Lay Delegate