2019 General Conference
Resources from Holy Huddles and the Future of The UMC
Resources shared at Holy Huddles
- Video messages from Bishop Grant Hagiya and Rev. Donna Pritchard, members of the Commission on A Way Forward.
- Link to “A Simple Plan” proposed by the leadership of The United Methodist Church Queer Clergy Caucus.
- Journal booklet
- Covenant bookmarker: Amharic-BookMark,
English-BookMark ,Korean-BookMark, Spanish-BookMark ,Tagalog-BookMark, Tongan-BookMark
- Holy Huddle Clergy Questions
DSC Delegation Scripts on the three plans
Final Report from the Commission on a Way Forward
- Read or download the report in English
- Read or download the report in French
- Read or download the report in Portuguese
- Read or download the report in Spanish
- Read or download the report in Swahili
Reaffirming its support for the One Church Plan, the Western Jurisdiction’s Mission Cabinet is calling United Methodists to prayer and learning in preparation for the upcoming special session of the General Conference.read more
Press Release by Western Jurisdiction Delegates We, the delegates of the Western Jurisdiction, have closely followed the work of the Commission on the Way Forward and have had in-depth conversations across the Jurisdiction and the United Methodist connection in...read more
Nashville, Tenn.: United Methodist choirs and worship ensemble groups from around the world may now audition online for an invitation to perform at the 2020 General Conference, The United Methodist Church’s top legislative assembly, which meets in Minneapolis, Minn....read more
Judicial Council Ruling 1366
Perspectives on A Way Forward
Daily Christian Advocate - Delegate Handbook, Reports, and Petitions
2019 Special Session of the General Conference Schedule
Praying Our Way Forward
A prayer community for The United Methodist Church in response to the Council of Bishop’s initiative.
General Commission on Religion & Race
Video series for vital conversations on race, culture, the church, and human sexuality.
Helping congregations have courageous conversations about The Way Forward.
The Way Forward Plans
A Side-by-Side Comparison
One Church Plan
Allows United Methodists to make their own decision regarding ministry with or by LGBTQ persons and removes restrictive language from the Book of Discipline.1) Conferences, churches, and pastors are able to “uniquely reach their missional context in relation to human sexuality without changing the connectional nature of The United Methodist Church.”2) United Methodists in central conferences in Africa, Asia, and Europe retain the authority to adapt the Book of Discipline and continue to include their traditional language and values.3) Protects the rights of United Methodists whose theological convictions will not allow them to perform same-sex weddings or ordain LGBTQ people.
Affirms the current language about homosexuality in the Book of Discipline and seeks to strengthen enforcement for violations of church law.
1) No change to the Book of Discipline language regarding homosexuality.
2) Violations of church law
3) Ordinands must state their sexual preference
4) Practicing LGBTQi persons are not eligible for ordination
Creates three connectional worldwide conferences based on theology or perspective, each having clearly defined values (accountability, contextualization, and justice) replacing the five existing U.S. jurisdictions.
1) Adaptations to the Book of Discipline would be allowed by each connectional conference.
2) Annual conferences would determine their affiliation with a connectional conference.
3) Local churches who choose a branch other than the one chosen by their annual conference could vote to join another conference.
4) Requires multiple amendments to the denomination’s constitution.
Reaffirming its support for the One Church Plan, the Western Jurisdiction’s Mission Cabinet is calling United Methodists to prayer and learning in preparation for the upcoming special session of the General Conference.
The Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church is asking the Judicial Council for declaratory decisions on the constitutionality of the petitions submitted by the Commission on a Way Forward to the 2019 Special Session of General Conference.
Video Resources about The Way Forward
Rev. Dan Hurlbert
First Elect Clergy Delegate
First Elect Lay Delegate
Rev. Anthony Tang
First Reserve Clergy Delegate
First Reserve Lay Delegate