General Conference Information
August 1, 2018 Dear Members and Friends of the Desert Southwest Conference, Peace to you in the name and spirit of Jesus who calls us to live in faith, hope, and love! The final report of the Commission on a Way Forward has been officially released to the public. The...read more
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The final report of the Commission on a Way Forward has been released in English, French, Portuguese and Swahili; all four official languages of the General Conference. The report will be presented to the 2019 Special Session of General Conference....read more
By Linda Bloom, Kathy L. Gilbert and Vicki Brown July 18, 2018 | UMNS The first public details of proposed legislation setting out three proposals for resolving the denomination’s differences over homosexuality are included in the United Methodist Judicial Council’s...read more
Holy Huddle Schedule
Way Forward Reports
The Way Forward Plans
A Side-by-Side Comparison
One Church Plan
3) Protects the rights of United Methodists whose theological convictions will not allow them to perform same-sex weddings or ordain LGBTQ people.
1) No change to the Book of Discipline language regarding homosexuality.
2) Violations of church law
3) Ordinands must state their sexual preference
4) Practicing LGBTQi persons are not eligible for ordination
1) Adaptations to the Book of Discipline would be allowed by each connectional conference.
2) Annual conferences would determine their affiliation with a connectional conference.
3) Local churches who choose a branch other than the one chosen by their annual conference could vote to join another conference.
4) Requires multiple amendments to the denomination’s constitution.
The Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church is asking the Judicial Council for declaratory decisions on the constitutionality of the petitions submitted by the Commission on a Way Forward to the 2019 Special Session of General Conference.
The Council of Bishops (COB) has amended its call for the Special Session of the General Conference of The United Methodist Church (UMC) to be held February 23-26, 2019 in St. Louis, Missouri, USA, in response to Judicial Council Decision 1360, which was handed down on May 25, 2018.
Video Resources about The Way Forward
Rev. Dan Hurlbert
First Elect Clergy Delegate
First Elect Lay Delegate
Rev. Anthony Tang
First Reserve Clergy Delegate
First Reserve Lay Delegate